Student California Teachers Association
Thursday, January 30, 2003,12:00pm
Children Center 3511
- Introductions Rita, Theresa, Joshua
- Approval/Modification of the Agenda Approved by Theresa, 2nd by Rita, motion carries
- Approval/ Modification of the Minutes from 12.05.02 Tabled for next meeting
- Public Comments (Limited to two minutes) none were giving
- Officers Reports
- President welcomed everyone back from winter break. Spoke a little about the conference coming in March. Reflected about the Good Teaching Conference the past weekends and excited about sharing one of the games at the next meeting.
- Vice President was not present
- Secretary did volunteer work at the City of Hayward and Hayward/South County NAACP-Martin Luther King, Jr. event at Centennial Hall. She had a lot of fun and cant wait till next year to do it again.
- Treasurer did the same thing with Theresa and really loved the artwork and the stories the kids wrote. Hopes that when she starts teaching to have students just as creative. Wants to know how we can get more people active.
- ICC Representative was not present
- Committee Reports
- Northern Regional Conference will have Kids Breakfast Club as the non-profit organization.
- Outreach to Teach has voted at the last meeting to have Highland Elementary School as the location of the first Outreach to Teach and Read Across American event. Rita will look event playground equipment at a free to low cost.
- Political Outreach had no report
- Community Outreach had no report
- Fundraising Committee wants to do a little carnival.
- Information Items
- Carnival is being planned for May or June and will be co-sponsored by the Southern Alameda County-Head Start.
- Members T-Shirt/Sweet Shirts decided on a black polo shirt with gold embroidering. Theresa is looking into cost for the shirts.
- Educational Specialist Advisor Search is over and the new advisor is Christine Will from the math department
- CTA Higher Ed W.H.O. award nomination has been tabled
- SCTA chapter awards has been tabled
- NEA chapter awards has been tabled
- Planning Items
- Outreach to Teach Rita is looking at Lowes, Home Depot, and or Kelly Moore on discounts or give-a-ways for the event.
- Kiss-A-Creature extending the time for the teachers to respond. Event will take place on club day on February 25.
- Campus Growth/Membership Outreach needs to get 13 members for 2nd delegate and 43 for a 3rd. Joshua adds, "lets get busy.
- Action Items
- Approval of letter for Alcosta Service Center tabled
- Approval of grant for NEA-SP C.L.A.S.S Grant tabled
- Elect Two delegates to the CTA Equity and Human Rights Conference, February 28-March 2 tabled
- Game no time
- Next Meeting Agenda/ Open Forum no comments
- Adjournment motion by Rita, 2nd by Theresa, motion carries at 12:51pm
- Next General Session Meeting: Thursday, February 6, 2003 @ 12:00pm in Children Center 3511
- Next Conference Planning Session: Thursday, February 13, 2003 @ 12pm in Children Center 3511